The Offspring Returns and A Song Takes Me Back 19 Years





My one-and-only came home for her first visit! 

I got a chuckle out of the stereotypical large bag of laundry she brought with her. She didn't ask me to do her wash, but I happily volunteered (I draw the line at folding, however).    

It was nice to hear her footsteps in the house again. I was reminded how late she sleeps (wake up and play with me!) Still, we got lots of quality time. The three of us worked on a puzzle for a while until we all got frustrated. My husband looked forward to watching her school's football game with her - but she went to her boyfriend/not-boyfriend's house to watch it instead (she didn't realize Dad wanted to watch the game with her, and he didn't tell her). But she came home during the fourth quarter and we all enjoyed watching them win, together.

As we worked on the aforementioned puzzle, my husband played Camila Cabella's song First Man on Spotify. In the song, she tells her father he is the first man who loved her. We've listened to it together before and I hope to hear it at my daughter's wedding someday. 

But then, he played Creed's With Arms Wide Open

This was the song he put on the CD player when we drove home with her from the hospital after she was born. Hearing that song, I was immediately transported back to that moment nearly 19 years go, sitting in the back seat with a 6 pound baby girl, listening to the lyrics my husband played for our newborn daughter. "With arms wide open now everything has changed. I'll show you love, I'll show you everything" as he drove 10 miles an hour all the way home. Looking at her sitting at the table now working on the puzzle, I burst into tears. It was just inconceivable that my tiny baby was grown up and no longer living with us. The music made the memory so real my heart physically hurt. 

The moment passed, and we enjoyed the rest of the weekend of movies, favorite meals and Dad's pancake breakfast. I think she had the hardest time saying goodbye to Ranger, our dog.

Then she was gone. Again. And it is hard all over again.

Comments

  1. I haven’t seen Griffin or his fam in a whole year as of this week. I usually visit in September. Then other family members and gatherings take over the holidays and I return on MLK weekend. This year, Christina was feeling quite ill with morning sickness so, I was going to visit in February instead. Well, that didn’t happen. And with a tiny human or two in the mix - we are just frozen in our places. What does this have to do with your first visit from your college student? Where I am now all started with those days at school... My heart still hurts on days like today. And four times as much because of all the people (and June the dog) that my offspring has brought into my life. It never ends. The consolation is that we are all otherwise happy. It is just this one 1,000 mile-ish thing. My doctor says my heart is fine, but some days... Love the blog, TWW! - Marcia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is so heartbreaking but human. I’m learning all the time that it never stops hurting, it just changes. Of course, we’d never trade it away. You need to see that sweet little girl!

      Delete
  2. We ran into Angela and George Lopez last night. They told us about your blog so I looked it up. We are Ian's parents and are one and done's also. Your blog posts and Mark's newspaper story at move in all totally ring true. Ian is at Eckerd College in St Pete. They are doing on campus school. Much easier to manage, 2000 total students. Outside classrooms (some), optional zoom learning if you feel like it. He's learning the ropes. He came home about 3 weeks ago. Also had a tougher time leaving our animals. Had a another long break starting yesterday, 4 day weekend. Decided not to come home. Yeah it's tough. He is growing up though and making his way so it's really nice to see and dampens the blow a little bit. Love your stories. I'll follow.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Zoom, Zoom: The Midlife-Just-For-Me Car

A Ghost in the House

Camping as a Couple in the Okefenokee Swamp