Eight Things I Learned on an Empty Nester Vacation. #2 Get the Good Bread




We just got back from our first official empty nester vacation. Here's what I learned:

1. It is really quiet. Too quiet. It was just my husband and me in a rental house. There is nothing wrong with quiet, but if you're not used to it, it's a bit unsettling. I need to work on being OK with the quiet.

2. You can get the good bread. There's nothing better than a peanut butter and jelly sandwich while hiking. But when we vacation with kids, we end up buying a loaf of white bread for the picky eaters. It was nice to get the good stuff this time. 


3. No one is getting queasy in the back seat. Lots of windy roads and we didn't have to stop once. 

4. You can hike to high vistas. Our daughter really doesn't like heights. At one point on a hike, my husband and I had the same thought: Mia wouldn't have liked this. But on our own, we got to enjoy a beautiful vista!


5. You can take detours. Usually we are rushing to get back home for school, or an activity, or a birthday party. With just the two of us, we were able to take a wonderful detour to Congaree National Park on the way home.

6. You can play strip poker. My husband's idea. I won:


(You didn't actually think that was going to be a video of us playing strip poker, did you?)

7. You can travel in the off season. We were able to travel after the summer season and before the popular fall foliage season. Lodging was extremely reasonable and there was no traffic. 

8. You're that cute older couple. You know how you've seen older couples enjoying each other's company and thought, I hope that's us someday? We saw that couple, then looked at ourselves and realized we are them! We're still coming to terms with that. 








Comments

  1. Yes, I was a bit afraid there was a video ... so I had to look �� Good things to keep in mind for next year ... ahhhh!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Zoom, Zoom: The Midlife-Just-For-Me Car

A Ghost in the House

Camping as a Couple in the Okefenokee Swamp